Two years after the “Société Anonyme des automobiles Peugeot” was founded, Armand Peugeot establishes a plant in Lille. 400 employees work there, designing and building Peugeot vehicles.
The plant is renamed Compagnie Lilloise de moteurs (CLM) and creates a new industry in France based on the “heavy oil” (diesel) engine. In 1928, the first Peugeot diesel engine emerges from the plant.
1928 – 1938
The range of engines offered by CLM expands from 4 hp to 500 hp with 17 models for a very broad range of applications: automotive, industrial, agricultural, marine, rail and generating units.
1942 – 1955
The company is renamed Compagnie Générale de Moteurs (CGM)
CGM develops industrial applications for its diesel engines, notably the first C.R.2 compressor in 1947.
1955 – 1958
The plant is merged into a new Group manufacturing organisation: Indenor.
The plant begins building a 4-cylinder, 4-stroke, 48-hp high-speed diesel engine under licence from Ricardo. The first TMD 4×85 is shipped in 1958 as the standard engine for the new Peugeot 403 models.
1958 – 1966
The XD and XDP diesel engines replace the TMD. In 1965, the 100,000th diesel engine is built. Major brands use these various diesel engines for automotive applications (Citroën and Opel commercial vehicles), agricultural tractors, construction equipment, material handling trucks and marine engines.
1966 – 1976
CGM is renamed Société Commerciale de Moteurs – CLM (SCM – CLM).
A contract is signed to supply 45,000 XD diesel engines to Ford Germany and Ford Great Britain.
The PSA Peugeot Citroën group is created with its current structure, and SCM-CLM becomes the Group’s engine sales unit.
The turbocharged diesel engine is added to the range.
1980 – 1984
SCM-CLM expands its range to petrol engines for industrial and automotive applications in 1980, and to gearboxes in 1984.
1992 – 2006
SCM-CLM becomes <strong>Peugeot Citroën Moteurs, a subsidiary of the PSA Peugeot Citroën Group.
Peugeot Citroën Moteurs becomes a division of PSA Peugeot Citroën.
Peugeot Citroën Moteurs becomes PSA Powertrain